Fats are an essential part of our diet, but many of us don’t consume enough of them. In this article, we’ll explore why fats are so important and some easy ways to make sure you’re getting enough of them in your diet.
What are essential fats?
Essential fats are a type of fat that our bodies need in order to function properly. They are found in a variety of foods, including fish, nuts, and seeds. While we do need some fat in our diets, it’s important to be aware of the different types of fat and to choose those that are healthier for us. Essential fats are a good choice because they offer a number of health benefits.
The benefits of consuming essential fats
There are a number of benefits to consuming essential fats, including improved heart health, cognitive function and joint health. Essential fats are also important for maintaining healthy skin and hair.
Including more essential fats in your diet is relatively easy – simply include foods such as oily fish, nuts and seeds, and avocados on a regular basis. You can also use olive oil or flaxseed oil when cooking.
The best food sources of essential fats
There are two main types of essential fats: omega-3 and omega-6. Both are found in plant and animal foods, but omega-3 is much less common than omega-6. The best food sources of omega-3 fatty acids are fatty fish, such as salmon, herring, mackerel, and sardines. Plant sources include flaxseeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds. Omega-6 fatty acids are found in higher amounts in many vegetable oils, such as soybean oil, corn oil, and safflower oil. They are also found in nuts, such as walnuts and peanuts.
How to include more essential fats in your diet
If you’re looking to include more essential fats in your diet, there are a few easy ways to do so. First, make sure to incorporate fatty fish into your meals a couple times per week. Salmon, tuna, herring, and sardines are all great sources of omega-3 fatty acids. You can also add nuts and seeds to your diet, as they’re rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Finally, don’t be afraid to use healthy oils like olive oil and avocado oil when cooking or preparing food. By making these small changes, you’ll be getting more essential fats into your diet in no time!
Recipes featuring essential fats
If you’re looking to add more essential fats to your diet, there are plenty of delicious recipes out there that feature this healthy food group. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Salmon with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots – This healthy and flavorful meal is packed with essential fats from the salmon, as well as vitamins and minerals from the veggies.
- Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Edamame – This hearty salad is a great option for lunch or dinner, and it’s full of good-for-you ingredients like quinoa, avocado, and edamame.
- Eggplant Parmesan – This classic Italian dish is made even healthier by using eggplant in place of traditional breaded chicken or veal. The result is a delicious meal that’s rich in essential fats.
- Sautéed kale and Swiss chard with tempeh – This simple but flavorful recipe features two leafy greens that are loaded with essential nutrients, as well as tempeh, a fermented soy product that’s high in protein and healthy fats.
- Roasted cauliflower with tahini sauce – Cauliflower is a nutrient-rich vegetable that
Essential fats play an important role in our overall health, yet many of us are not getting enough of them in our diets. By adding more foods rich in essential fats to our diet, we can improve our health in a number of ways. So next time you’re at the grocery store, be sure to pick up some nuts, seeds, avocados, and olive oil to help increase your intake of essential fats.